Thursday, January 15, 2009

what is coming for Fall 09

I've just spent the last three days shuffling through Fall 09 lines by some of the best designers in the biz, Yohji Yamamoto, Yigal Azrouel, Surface to Air, Rag & Bone, and many more. It's very clear that the economy is altering the way the fashion business is run...but not enough to hurt everybody. I feel optimistic in this environment because even though we are losing a lot of businesses, the ones that are staying are the really strong ones. They are the ones who have deserved the attention in the first place. Anyway, all I can say is that after we get out of this, there will be less places to shop at, but the ones left will be damn good. And I guess I can say here that it's nice to be on the side of the retailer that's making it. We are finally getting the respect we deserve.

As far as the actual collections go...yes they were smaller and more selective, but there are still some designers to get excited about. My favorites being the ones I listed above, and I was rather impressed by Steven Alan I'd say. Small labels that looked strong were Wrath Arcane and Chronicles of Never (which I only peeked at but wish I had the time to sift through some more).

Anyway, here's what's to come (as far as I witnessed this week so far) for Fall 09

- More Plaid. It stays, and maybe even gets stronger.

- Workwear inspired denim. Lots with the buckle in the back of the pants. Dirty washes and relaxed fits.

- An overall push for casual pants over denim. Casual pants win this season, especially cords.

- Worn-in, vintage-inspired looks win over super edgy, harsher looks.

- Slim cuts become more relaxed, but not baggy.

- Color palettes are either 1. super neutral or 2. crazy color (especially the plaids)

- Leather coats and toggled casual winter coats dominate outerwear (no more peacoats, less formal outerwear)

My absolute favorite collection was by Yigal. Hands down.

Overall, I'm looking forward at what is to come.

No comments: